Sunday, October 28, 2007

3 Day Hospital Stay!

Oh, right I am back in business!! For those of you who didn't know I have been in the hospital since Thursday.

I had posted that I was feeling great Wednesday night but right after the nurlasta shot well, about 11:30 pm I started getting some of the aching they had talked about. I wasn't bad off I had a friend help me with the kids on Thursday and I even had visiting teachers. I didn't feel well enough to get up and around but I didn't feel that bad. It wasn't until Andera left at 3:30 on Thursday I thought that I felt like I might have a fever so I took my temp and it was a 101. So I called the chemo nurses and they said come in and we will draw some blood and see what is going on.

So my mother-in-law drove me over to Kadlec. They took some blood and we wait 1/2 or so and then they brought me the news. My blood work said my Neutraphilles(sp) were 100. She said for Chemo they have to be 800, to leave the hospital with antibotics they have to be 600 or more, 500 and lower you have to stay at the hospital. So that meant I needed to stay in the hospital.

It really couldn't have been better timing since I didn't have to miss any chemo treatments or anything else with being sick. What the neutraphill is, is part of your white blood cell count. It is the part that fights off infection. So since it was low I needed to stay in the hospital. When they told me that I was a little glad it was going to be a nice break from all the sick kids and I would get some rest. The stay was a little longer than I liked being away from the kids because they couldn't visit. It was then going to be restful but that didn't work out so much at nights. They really enjoyed coming in and checking vitals and changing meds in the middle of the night and then they left me alone during the day. I don't know about you guys but that seemed very backwards to me.

I do have to say that all the nurses were really nice and kind. I also got to visit with some friends a little, write in my journal a little, read a little and watched a lot of TV. I don't usually get to just sit and watch t.v. in the middle of the day. But that got old really fast so the visitors were a nice distraction.

I have to tell a short story. I was able to get Dr. Rado to smile and laugh a little today. If any of you know Dr. Rado I don't see or haven't yet seen him smile or laugh he is very clam and collected. But he did laugh today and smile that was a great thing to see today. He said they are going to keep everything the same just add some things to help me with my next round of chemo. I will be taking some nutropine shots to help boast my white blood cell count and also a shot for my red blood cell counts. I will be taking those with my chemo and after know.

Oh, and I can't forget the Hospital feed me so well I gained 10 pounds while I was there for only 3 days. We they want you to eats lots of protein it is hard not to gain weight. So I guess I am saying is watch out when you have your babies ladies they feed you well at Kadlec.

I hope everyone's weekends were Fabulous and Fun!


Heather said...

Yeah, what is it with needing blood in the middle of the night?? Can't they find phlebotomists that work during the day? I'm glad you are home!

Nicole said...

I am SO glad to hear that you are back home and in great spirits to boot!

Really, what is it about the middle of the night? I had one nurse who would sit and talk to me forever when Zoe was in Peds.

They do have surprisingly good food at Kadlec. I've had the Kadlec Burger more times than I want to admit.

I hope you have a terrific week! Let me know if I can do ANYTHING!

Puerto Rican Princess said...

So glad you're back home! You sound fantastic (like awlays) and I'm sure you're thrilled to be back in your own bed with your own family.

I'm sorry I missed you on Thursday...can we try this Thursday again? Dinner is on it's way!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what was up, missing 3 days of your blog and all. Well, that explains it! So sorry to hear that you had to visit the hospital. Hope your doing better now. Do you get to start chemo this week now? I think I'm finally over my sickness so I would love to come visit if you are feeling up to it. I will call you this week and see. Hope you have a better week this week!

Lacey said...

I'm glad you are back home and I'm sure you are too! I hope the next dose of chemo goes better with the new drugs. I'm glad you got a break from kids and such though. Sometimes it is a good thing to just lie around and do nothing!

Lacey said...

I'm glad you are back home and I'm sure you are too! I hope the next dose of chemo goes better with the new drugs. I'm glad you got a break from kids and such though. Sometimes it is a good thing to just lie around and do nothing!

debsters said...

Great to hear you are home. I know you probably hear this all the time, but you really have an amazing attitude, which is really you exercising your faith. Thank you for the example.
Isn't that true. They always come in the middle of the night to do the lab work.
I, too, have long praised the food at the hospital. I have my meals planned before even going in to have a baby. Great service!
Keep smiling, Debie S.

brenda said...

You probably don't know me as I am one of the newer new members in the ward, but I want you to know my family is pulling for you! My first impression of you was when you taught in relief society and something about your spirit really amazed me! You can fight this thing and from what I have learned you you - you are a very STRONG girl!!! We will do all we can to help...
Brenda Murray

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay for the most part. It's too bad it's that time of year when the kids seem to bring home every germ they come in contact with. Are you going to put Cole in basketball? I could try and get Kael on the same team again so I could take Cole to practice and games if you want. Let me know. Keep smiling! Lots of love and prayers.


Anonymous said...

I just found out yesterday. You are constantly in my thoughts and always in our prayers!

Heather Benson

Tharker said...

I'm glad that you are home too. I missed your blog these last few days.

During each of Jake's stays at the hospital, it seemed like he would just get to sleep and they would come in and poke around. Hello! Don't they know how hard it is to fall back asleep in the middle of the night when you've had someone messing with you?!

Ahh, Kadlec food....that's the reason I had children...just kidding!

I hope that you are still doing well so that you will be able to continue with your planned treatments. Loved the story by the way about your doctor. I bet that was a welcome change for you to see!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't believe it, when I saw the flyer come through my work. I had to take a break and call my mom. Hope you are doing better.

Vickie Allen-Alexander